Patient testimonial – PRRT

“My story started approximately ten years ago, whereby I was diagnosed with a Neuroendocrine Tumour to the pancreas.

I was at my Doctors surgery and I noticed that they were providing well man checks for the over 40s male. I decided to take these basic checks. After a couple of weeks the initial blood test that I had given came back with abnormalities.

After further checks I was sent to the local hospital for an ultrasound check. Not long  after having this check within minutes I was given a CT scan that resulted in a large mass being located on my ride hand side of my upper body that was the size of a football. I had felt no pain.

It was diagnosed with a Neuroendocrine Tumour to my pancreas that must had been secreted there for years and years.

The surgeons moved quickly and remarkably it was supposedly all removed and I was given the all clear. I lost my spleen and tail end of my pancreas during surgery  as well  as the large tumour.

This remained the same until approximately seven years later, when I returned to the doctor’s for an unrelated matter. Due to my mental state at that time the Doctor recommended me for another CT scan, which showed that tumours had returned to my liver and pancreas tand were inoperable.

I was subsequently allocated a Specialist Professor. He took care of me for the next four years providing routine treatments in order to control the tumours. This worked for about five years whereby I was able to live a normal life with hospital visits whilst still living with my cancer.

Following this period I was allocated another Specialist Professor who continued the treatments. He also used other treatments in order to control the tumours. Also during this time I was provided with a nuclear scan that was supposed to light up the areas

affected by the tumours. A number of limited areas showed up on the scan. I was provided with Everolimus, but due to my low immune system I contracted encephalitis and nearly died as a result . I was seriously ill and at this time I had to retire from my job as a Detective Sergeant serving 26 years with the police.

During this time my family were very worried and struggled to cope and became increasingly worried and aware that my treatments were becoming limited and that my

options were running out as my calcium had also started to rise as the tumours sought more calcium from my body and my levels started to increase alarmingly.

This continued for approximately two years whereby I was in and out of hospital on a regular basis. Whilst in hospital I was provided with fluids and other medications that did

not succeed at lowering my calcium levels, which continued to rise. The doctors became worried because nothing would lower my calcium levels,

It was also starting to take its control over myself. I began to lose my speech and ability to hold a conversation. I also could hardly walk a few feet as my legs were becoming increasingly weak. I was more or less bed bound at this time. It also made me increasingly susceptible to loud noises and I became withdrawn in myself.

It was also very hard for my family who had to increasingly get used to my regular mood swings. It was also impossible for me to button my shirt or my trousers due to my deteriorating health. During this time I also suffered heavy falls in hospital and at home leaving me badly bruised and sore. The specialist staff continued to give me treatments that did not work and allowed my calcium to get to dangerous levels threatening my bone marrow and other parts of the body.

By this time my normal treatment options for reducing calcium were ending and showed no signs of any improvement and I continued my very poor health remaining weak and withdrawn. About six months to nine months ago, I was being considered for palliative care at home such was my state of health.

The root of all my problems was my calcium levels being so high and were affecting my basic bodily functions.

At this point Professor X recommended me to Sheffield to speak with Doctor Y who was performing a relatively new treatment that involved nuclear medicine that was non invasive and injected into my arms. It was clear to the Professor that one of the tumours appeared to stand out and was requesting the extra calcium to enter the blood stream. An earlier nuclear scan was provided to Dr Y along with my medical records. The scan showed up limited areas where I had been affected.

Despite my very poor health I was accepted for the Lutetium treatment by Dr Y.

In October 2016, I had my first treatment staying overnight at the hospital before leaving the next day. Nothing really happened for the next week apart from me being tired but I suffered no real side effects.

Within a week and without any warning I started to feel subtle changes and the benefits of the treatment.

It was life changing because all of a sudden I was able to join in conversations and my  coordination became back allowing me to eventually walk five miles. The change was unbelievable and people started to comment on how well and coordinated I had become. My memory is becoming sharper as I am able to recognize names and faces again. I also more tolerant with family and friends. I can now dress myself and walk and run in a straight line. It’s incredible how this has become true after only one treatment. My family and myself have recognized a massive change in my overall health and the fact that they are having to perform fewer tasks on my behalf. I am  now also able to get up early in the morning and occupy myself rather than staying in bed until lunchtime or late afternoon. The health benefits have been terrific and unbelievable. I feel like a person reborn and given another chance in life. Before I always used to think how long I have got and when am I going to die? Now these thoughts have gone and I intend to live my life to the full with the help of Dr Y whom took that chance with me and that has handsomely paid off with added bonuses to my health. Only recently, I am able to compile this report to you as it was impossible previously.

I am now so enthusiastic about life and enjoying it with my family. Life is now a joy as I communicate on facebook with my many friends and tell my story to give help to others with the message never to give up. I am sure that this treatment will provide others with the unbelievable health benefits that I have achieved through the treatment.”